The production of 360° videos requires special techniques and equipment to create a more immersive experience for the viewer. Here is some information about 360° video production:
In the beginning it was GoPros
In the past, 360° videos were often shot with GoPros, as these cameras were lightweight and compact and could be easily combined into complex arrays of up to 18 cameras for mounting 360° rigs as they were called. However, they also had technical limitations, such as limited resolution and image quality. Furthermore, one can vividly imagine what a nightmare it is to manage many gopros, which sometimes got too hot in the middle of the shoot, rendering the shot unusable. However, with the development of specialized 360° cameras, the situation has improved and today there are a variety of options of 360° cameras in all price ranges to produce 360° videos.
How does 360° Photo and Video work?
Panoramic 360° images are created by stitching together multiple individual images to create a seamless overall image. This is done by placing the camera on either a special tripod or a turntable that automatically rotates the camera 360 degrees while taking multiple photos. The images are then stitched together in special software to create a panoramic image that provides a seamless 360-degree view. Man There are also special cameras that can directly capture a 360° image without having to manually stitch together individual images. These cameras have multiple lenses that capture images simultaneously and stitch them together automatically.
Overview of the most popular 360° cameras on the market.
In the overview you can see both professional cameras and action 360° cameras that are also used by hobbyists.
As a rule, all stereoscopic cameras are significantly more expensive and fall into the professional equipment category.
360° cameras don't age well so most 4 year old equipment is usually already obsolete.
|Camera model||Price||Image resolution||Stereoscopic?||Number of lenses||Year of publication||Professional/Prosumer|
|Insta360 Titanium||16.990€||11K (360°)||Yes||6 lenses||2020||Professional|
|Insta360 Pro2||4.999,00€||8K (360°)||Yes||6 lenses||2018||Professional|
|Kandao Obsidian S||5.999,00€||8K (360°)||Yes||6 lenses||2017||Professional|
|Insta360 Pro||2.999,00€||7K (360°)||no||4 lenses||2017||Prosumer|
|ZCam V1||3.999,00€||8K (360°)||Yes||6 lenses||2017||Prosumer|
|Insta360 ONE R||429,00 €||5.7K (360°)||No||2 lenses||2020||Prosumer|
|Insta360 ONE X2||429,00 €||5.7K (360°)||No||2 lenses||2020||Prosumer|
|GoPro MAX||499,99 €||5.6K (360°)||No||2 lenses||2019||Prosumer|
|Kandao QooCam 8K||499,00 €||8K (360°)||Yes||2 lenses||2019||Professional|
|Ricoh Theta Z1||999,00 €||7K (360°)||No||2 lenses||2019||Professional|
What does the number of lenses mean?
A 360-degree camera captures images and videos that cover the entire environment around the camera. To achieve this, many images must be captured from different angles and then stitched together to create a 360-degree image or video. A camera with multiple lenses can capture more images simultaneously, speeding up the capture process. In addition, multiple lenses can help improve what's called the "stitching" process, where individual images are stitched together to create a seamless 360-degree image. The more lenses a 360-degree camera has, the better it can usually capture the entire environment and the higher the quality of the resulting 360-degree image or video.
What is stereoscopic?
Stereoscopic means that the 360° camera has lenses that are positioned to function like human eyes and can produce a stereoscopic image. Stereoscopic 360-degree cameras therefore capture not only a full 360-degree view, but also three-dimensional depth. This allows the viewer to look around the virtual environment and have a more immersive experience, as the depth perception enhances the illusion of a real environment. Stereoscopic 360-degree shots are particularly useful for virtual reality applications where the viewer should have the feeling of actually being in the virtual environment. In this context, it should be noted that the stereoscopic experience is much more natural for cameras with more than 6 lenses.
Why is resolution so important with 360° cameras?
Resolution is especially important with 360-degree cameras because these cameras capture a very large area and thus require a higher resolution to produce a sharp and detailed image than regular cameras. Low resolution results in blurry and pixelated images, which detracts from the viewing experience.
This is especially important when viewing 360° content in a headset.
When viewing a 360-degree image, one has the option to view the scene from different perspectives by zooming in or rotating the view. Higher resolution allows the viewer to see finer details and have a better viewing experience.
That's why it's important to look for high resolution when choosing a 360-degree camera. The higher the resolution, the sharper and more detailed the resulting images or videos. Currently, no all-in-one 360° camera is able to emulate the resolution of the human eye. Furthermore, only headsets from Vaio for about 4000€ is able to show approximately the resolution of the human eye. This means that 360° video is unfortunately not yet as sharp as in real life.
What is stitching
Stitching refers to the process of processing individual images or videos captured by different cameras to create a seamless 360° panoramic image or video. Stitching uses specialized software to combine the various individual images or videos so that together they form a single, continuous image or video that can be viewed in all directions. Stitching is an important step in the creation of 360° video because it combines the different perspectives captured by the cameras into a single, seamless image. There are different types of stitching techniques that can be used to create 360° videos, such as optical flow stitching, spherical stitching and more. There are many software products on the market that support 360° video stitching Mistika VR, PTGui, Hugin. Furthermore, the manufacturers of the 360° cameras such as Insta 360, Kandao and Ricoh Stitching software solutions offered that can achieve quite good results.
This is how a 360° production works:
- Concept development: As with any other video production, the process begins with the development of a concept. What should be shown in the video? What kind of atmosphere should be created? What message should be conveyed? Concept development is an important step in ensuring that the video delivers the desired results.
- Planning and preparation: Once the concept is established, the planning and preparation begins. This includes choosing the right camera equipment, determining locations, and assembling the production team. It is also important to create a storyboard to ensure that all important scenes are shot. The storyboard should take into account the limitations of 360° technology.
- Shooting: Shooting 360° videos is different from traditional video shooting. It is important to position the camera correctly and make sure it is stable to avoid a shaky image. Most 360° cameras require special mounts or tripods to ensure a stable shot. It's also important to keep the production team out of the camera's field of view for a complete 360° experience.
- Postproduction: After filming, the footage is viewed and edited. Postproduction for 360° videos includes compiling the individual shots into a 360° video, color correction, adjusting the exposure and editing the soundtrack. It is also possible to add special effects such as text overlays or animations to make the video even more appealing.
- Publishing and distribution: After the video is finished, it is published on different platforms, depending on the target audience and the purpose of the video. 360° videos are often published on YouTube, Facebook or other social media. It is also possible to publish them on dedicated virtual reality platforms such as Oculus Rift or Google Cardboard.
Limitations of 360° Film Techology:
You want to produce a professional 360-degree film and are looking for an experienced agency that can help you? Then Design4real is the right place for you!
Design4real is a professional 360-degree video agency that specializes in creating stunning 360-degree videos. We have an experienced team of experts who will assist you from the conception to the completion of your 360-degree film.
Why should you hire Design4real for your 360-degree film production? Here are some reasons:
- Experience: Our team has years of experience in producing 360-degree videos. We know how to use the latest technologies and techniques to achieve stunning results.
- Expertise: Our experts are knowledgeable in all areas of 360-degree production, from planning and shooting to post-processing and content delivery for various platforms.
- Technology: We use the latest technology and equipment to ensure that your 360-degree film production is of the highest quality.
- Creativity: We are known for our creative ideas and concepts that help make your 360-degree film unique and memorable.
- Customer focus: We place great emphasis on the needs of our customers and work closely with them to ensure that their vision and goals for the 360-degree film are achieved.
Design4real is the right choice as an agency to produce your professional 360 degree film. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you!